Cabbage roll casserole
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hr, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hr, 30 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves or 1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 pounds ground beef
1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
1 head green cabbage, shredded
1 cup uncooked rice
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups beef broth
1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper, divided
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
When hot, add onion and saute for about 3 minutes, until soft.
Add the garlic, Italian seasoning and beef, breaking up the beef as you do.
Fry the beef until it’s brown, about 8 minutes, stirring regularly. Drain if needed.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the tomato sauce, rice, salt and half of the coarse ground pepper. Mix well to combine; this is your casserole mixture.
4. In a casserole dish, layer one-third of the cabbage..
…then one-third of the ground beef, …
…and finally one-third of the casserole mixture.
Repeat layers two more times.
5. Pour beef broth over the entire casserole.
Cover with aluminum foil.
6. Place the casserole dish in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
7. After removing from oven, sprinkle entire casserole with remaining 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper.
Pro tip: Try adding shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the casserole (you can add it at the same time it goes in the oven) for a cheesy twist on this casserole!
Dig in and serve!
RESOURCES TASTE OF HOME